Nice to meet you! I’m Cécile Lebleu, brand designer turned front-end developer.
I like to build interactive websites and design systems. I also enjoy making great food.
If you're here, chances are, you want to learn more about who I am. So I have been brutally honest in the making of this slice of my life, so you're not missing out on details. To me, a personality is more important than a person's stacks or degrees. I'm playful and I live for learning. So if you like who I am and you think I can help you, please reach out — I'd like to be friends!
Currently working with: Gatsby, React, Figma
Some things I love:
- ❧ Typography
- 🖋 Classic & minimal design
- 🍜 Ramen
- 👩🏼💻 Clean code
- 🥖 Fresh bread
- 🌳 Walks in nature
What I'm good at, and not-so-good-at too, because I'm human after all 🤷🏼♀️
- Current stack: Jamstack with React and Gatsby.
- WordPress with Elementor, optionally WooCommerce. Will bug everyone about "plugin bloat" and nag about optimizations.
- Always looking for the newest things to learn, and will avoid older frameworks and tools at all cost. I prefer using modern CSS over Bootstrap, for example, or anything over jQuery.
- Currently diving into back-end database and the like, but so far, I'm far from knowledgeable in the field. I'd prefer working with your back-end engineer of choice.
- Good at: Front-End
- Not so much: Back-End
- Walking know-it-all about typography. Will complain about kerning and use of "classic" default system fonts without a very good reason.
- Design systems (like brand identities), layouts (like responsive web design or prints), icons, and letters.
- Not so good at illustration or artistic things. It's too free. I prefer to keep art for personal leisure, and use tried-and-tested systems for client's projects.
- Good at: Designing systems
- Not so much: Arts & illustration
- I have a special thing for bread, soup, sauce, and salad. It just makes me happy. My alter ego is a 17th to 19th century cook. Yes, with the costume and all. Shh, don't tell anyone.
- Particularly good at making pizza and bread, according to people.
- Not into spicy food (as in hot peppers). But might eat all the mustard and soy sauce in your fridge, if left alone.
Best read from the bottom up.
- Finished a very thorough React Bootcamp.
- Learned Gatsby.
- 🚀 Deep dive into coding. Characters typed per year must have skyrocketed here.
- 🖥 Worked with even more amazing people, building even more WordPress websites.
- 💻 Continued learning about front-end web development. Figured out that vanilla might not be the standard anymore.
- 🎴 All the hard work finally started to yield results: I had the opportunity to work in an amazing card game! I love that game and play it regularly. My first little brother is a huge fan.
- 🗂 Took a deep-dive into brand identity design. Somewhere around here I figured out I really like building, and following, systems.
- ⚙️ To expand my graphic design capabilities, I started learning how to use WordPress to build client websites.
- 💻 Meanwhile, I started learning about programming. Dabbled with Python, PHP, and Machine Learning, but ultimately decided to stick to front-end.
- 🤓 Still nerding every day into books about typography, print, design, and marketing, and designing every day better type.
- 💼 Worked on my freelance logo designer career, with more clients and more project diversity.
- 📕 Learned about graphic design and marketing. Obsessed over print design vs pixel design.
- 📐 Kept expanding my knowledge in type design. Started designing my first typefaces.
- 🖌 Started learning lettering design. Got sucked into learning what defines the shapes of letters.
- 🧑🏻💻👩🏼💻 Got married!
- ❧ Learned about type-setting and type design.
- 🏆 Started designing logotypes for clients: First freelance project!
- 🥐 Looking for a simpler life, I worked as a baker and barista at a local french shop for a while. While painting the menu on the walls, I dived into letter design, and spent some time in the nearby university's library reading all about Frutiger.
- 🎥 Then, I studied and worked part-time in photography, videography, music video production, including product photography, production, recording, editing.
- 🎙 I also got a lot into the music industry — at one point it was my goal in life. I learned about all the processes, from recording to mastering to marketing and everything in between, met some incredible producers and artists, and visited amazing audio gear factories and studios.
- 💾 I worked and played in web development, doing the monotonous HTML and CSS my dad didn't want to do (lol), back when DreamWeaver was the best thing since sliced bread.
- 👧🏼 During my childhood and early years, I was in a great environment to learn all sorts of things. At-home summer jobs were the norm for me, and we were always doing something different.
Last updated: August 1, 2020